Tuesday, April 15, 2008


A good friend and pr practitioner Christal Mc Intosh read my blog post about the Hill rice saga and told me I was bourgeois because I buy Uncle Ben Rice. She said that she loved what I was doing with the blog, but that I could relax a little and not always be formal.

Well right away our age difference showed. Being about fifteen years Christal’s senior I did not see my site as formal at all, in fact I just thought that I was discussing pr issues. Well gosh here’s perception creeping up again ( a major factor in our business).
Well here is my attempt at casual.

This site is a source of infinite pleasure for me, even more than my corporate site www.prmrinc.net. Why so? Because I built it myself from scratch (with the help of Google tools of course). I chose the design, the colours, wrote the articles and woola my site was up. Isn’t it wonderful that there are tools for non-techies to use, and anyone can have a site without knowing a bit of code? My corporate site took about three months to build. Back and forth with my webmaster, brand designer the works. By the time it was finished I realized that I had really just gotten started because a website is not a substitute for a brochure, it is a living, breathing organism, that needs to be fed.
The blog spot because of its simplicity really puts traditional media under treat, and the danger although present is not clear. The web is aptly named because you can get lost here. Your company’s reputation can be bandied about without your knowledge for months before you know a thing, unlike with traditional media. Companies that do not have as standard alerts on their names are behind the times and it up to the pr professional to keep abreast of the technology and keep their clients and organizations on top of its issues.

Oops I may have fallen off the casual wagon there for a minute but I can’t help it, for me pr is no casual affair, despite the façade of glamour, it is vital to the very soul of every living organization.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Pam

For the record, I am not a rice fan!

I prefer good old Bajan ground food like the fish broth my Ma shared with me yesterday that had a bit of salt meat soaking at the bottom.

If your blog was a stew, however, you just put in some spices with this attempt at casual :-).

It is true that this is an opportune time for Caribbean companies start to monitor their online reputations or Reputation 2.0.

Especially in tourism, our No. 1 industry, where over 50% of our potential visitors are utilizing the internet to conduct transactions.

In the latest edition of the IABC's members' magazine, Communication World, they also revealed how important mastering the Internet is for Human Resource Planners.

With Gen Yers, those born after 1981) are joining the workforce at a similar rate to those Boomers are retiring, companies are going to have to adapt in order to attract the best talent or else.

I am confident that one could go through nearly every department in any firm and make a case.

And as you said it's easy to use so there is no excuse!

And by the way I don't mind being a chilled tetra pack of Ribena now if I will grow up to be a fine wine in 15 years time!

Cheers

Christal P. McIntosh
www.lyricallava.blogspot.com